Reading has become an old fashioned habit
- Browse by topicSearch our book database by subject, country, epoch, year of publication or key word.
- Book show of the weekHaven't you had time to read the newspaper or drop by us in the last few days? Doesn't matter, because here you can view our review notes from the last six days of publication sorted by newspaper or topic.
- Literature supplementsAll of our notes on the book reviews in the literature supplements from FAZ, FR, NZZ, SZ, taz and Zeit.
The beautiful habit of living 'is a book about Italy, about a German's travels to Italy. Martin Mosebach writes about the cities of Rome and Venice, about life in the country near Naples, then about the mask theater of the Commedia dell'arte. Mosebach's stylistic precision, his feeling for the curious in everyday life and his power of representation, which draws from the full, give this book its idiosyncratic charm.
Review note on Die Zeit, July 29, 2010
Helmut Böttiger felt himself instructed in a gently old-fashioned way while reading this book, in which Martin Mosebach, according to his information, undertakes a foray through the cultural history of the West based on Italy. However, the critic acknowledges the educated teachings of this author with amused, sometimes astonished benevolence. With forbidden, because reactionary feelings of happiness, he and Mosebach sometimes jump back beyond the limits of the Enlightenment, and find an imaginary center of Mosebach's lust for life in the Roman Catholic hustle and bustle of the Middle Ages and early modern times. Again and again he finds old and new artfully intertwined in the description. The critic even identifies a technique of valuable addition in small descriptions of apparently everyday things, in which Mosebach then accumulates education and knowledge layer by layer and ticks particularly important things with extra ticks, as the critic adds reprovingly.
- How do I contact PhonePe
- How should a Muslim pray while traveling?
- Why did nationalism disappear?
- Is Vienna a Muslim city
- What do Greeks think of Indians
- What websites are like Bestgore
- Which religion Rahul Gandhi follows
- Are Pakistani descendants of Indians
- How can I connect with film producers
- What is a marsupial mammal
- Should the Maghreb become its own country
- What is the greatest sign of charisma
- Visa gift cards can be used anywhere
- Think about that thinking is bad
- How do I get my activation code
- Why are my fingers bending to the side
- How lucrative is Salesforce Consulting
- Why do people think about transhumanism?
- How do we stop vegans
- What makes Rand Paul more libertarian
- What do IITians think of Chetan Bhagat
- How can we do better in 2020
- What is Burlington IA known for
- Is glass a metal or non-metal