How can I blow out a candle
Why can candles be blown out?
Bernd Binninger from the Institute for Technical Combustion at the University of Aachen knows the answer: "When you blow, the flame is blown so far away from the wick that the flame goes out when it cools down and the fuel supply is cut off," he explains. Because for it to burn at all, three things are always necessary: fuel, oxygen and heat. In the case of a candle, the fuel is the vaporized wax, and the oxygen is provided by the air. In order to start a combustion process, all that is missing is the ignition temperature of around 250 degrees. If the candle burns, it then generates the necessary heat itself.
The wick, on the other hand, does not play a direct role in the burning process: it only serves to guide the liquid wax. When burning, a gas mixture is created around the wick, which, however, only meets the conditions for combustion after a certain distance. “What we see as a flame near the wick is a thin, luminous layer, the reaction zone, which spreads at a certain burning rate,” says Binninger. Blowing creates a current away from the wick, which the flame has nothing to oppose. In addition, the proportion of fuel and the temperature decrease, so that the burning rate also drops. "The flame has no way of getting near the wick and goes out."
Large flames, such as those from a campfire, are too big to blow out. “Our breath is not enough to create the effect of blowing out in enough places at the same time,” explains Binninger. In this case, a flow of air has the opposite effect: it supplies the flames with more oxygen, which starts the combustion. "In principle, however, any flame can be blown out - all that is required is a correspondingly strong and spatially extended air flow," says Binninger.
- Where can I buy weed online legally
- How can I perfect my English 1
- Are student loans really that bad
- Is recycled composite decks recyclable
- Which broker gives a low brokerage rate
- Modi is a political magician
- What is opioid addiction
- How do I cure GERD naturally
- Which online shop is the best
- Creates heat of ultraviolet light
- Why can't Indians be more creative?
- Can breast milk be warmed up twice
- What should everyone know about Bangladesh
- Is there freedom of expression in Germany?
- What is the principle of HPLC
- What do migraines see
- Why did the US justify Japanese internment?
- Is Ronaldo a flop at Juventus
- What is speech analysis
- Do priests rabbis whatever a salary
- What is a good album to listen to
- Are narcissistic people dangerous?
- Who is the beast in Revelation 17?
- How do hurricanes come about in India