What are the effects of ultraviolet radiation
What does UV light do in the human organism?
Without the light that is emitted by the sun, life on earth would not be possible. Many metabolic processes in plants, animals and humans can only take place with the help of UV light.
In addition to many positive effects on our health, UV radiation also harbors a considerable health risk. The skin is particularly affected by the disease-causing effects, as it absorbs a large part of the radiation as the outer covering.
What positive effects does UV light have?
UV light is necessary to form vitamin D, which is essential for the development and strength of bones. UV light regulates the day-night rhythm by stimulating the production of various hormones. It also works against depression, among other things by increasing the production of "happiness hormones" (endorphins).
Furthermore, the oxygen uptake via the lungs is improved and the circulation is stimulated. UV light can improve the appearance of some skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
What negative effects does UV light have?
1. It weakens the immune system of the skin and thereby promotes the occurrence of skin infections and tumors.
2. In high doses, UV light can damage the skin:
3. UV light can trigger pathological light reactions ("sun allergy") on abnormally reacting skin:
4.UV light can cause skin and eye diseases:
Read more about sun protection here
Test your knowledge in our sun protection quiz!
Stay informed with the newsletter from netdoktor.at
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Tappeiner
More articles on the topic
Cardiovascular diseases and cancer are still responsible for a large number of deaths in the Austrian population.
Sun protection tips
We have a few important tips so that the joy of summer temperatures is not clouded by sunburn.
What helps against sunburn?
The best remedy for sunburn: don't let it get that far. You can do that if it happens anyway.
- Do you think Jeremy Corbyn will succeed?
- Are you tired of your country's government?
- Has switched Ronaldo to Juventus
- What are the best JDM Drift Cars
- Is Chetan Bhagat's novel Revolution 2020 underestimated?
- Why do people like to do dangerous sports?
- Which company produces fragrant resins for jewelry
- Why should I use LinkedIn?
- Is transhumanism compatible with Islam
- Are there still sunset cities
- What is special and important about silver
- What does stock splits 1000 2002 mean
- How does the cooling of the car engine work?
- Is complacent positive or negative
- How do I know that I am exceptional
- How do you recognize a beginner artist
- United Motors UM motorcycles are good
- Are there still communist ideologues in China?
- What is the salary of a CAG
- How much caffeine does Vimto contain
- Which are the most successful Malayalam films
- Which is an antonym of versatile
- How do libertarians live their lives
- Could Houston host the Olympics?