What is low CO2
CO2: meaning, measurement & fertilization
carbon dioxide, also CO2, is next to the temperature, the pH value and the water hardness one of the most important water values in the aquarium. As part of photosynthesis, CO2 is essential for that Plant growth. In turn, high CO2 concentrations can be dangerous for fish.
In this guide you will find out everything you need to know about the CO2 content in the aquarium.
Photosynthesis and CO2
Be in photosynthesis CO2 and water converted into sugar (energy). Photosynthesis only works under the influence of light. Without photosynthesis, aquatic plants cannot survive or even grow. CO2 is that, so to speak Staple food of plants. A regular controll the CO2 content therefore makes sense.
Photosynthesis: Water + carbon dioxide + light = oxygen + glucose
Relationships: CO2, KH and pH value
The pH value is strongly related to the carbonate hardness (KH) and the CO2 content of the water. If you know 2 of the 3 values, you can calculate the missing value using the following table. In order to achieve optimal plant growth, the CO2 value should between 20 and 40 mg / l lie.
In order to achieve a high pH value, the CO2 content must be reduced and the carbonate hardness increased. For low pH values, the carbonate hardness must be reduced and the CO2 value increased. With the CO2 concentration, the pH value can only marginally controlled become. The pH value can be better adjusted via the carbonate hardness.
Measure CO2 content
Ideally, the CO2 value should be in the range 20 - 40 mg / l lie. Either is used for measurement Droplet tests or test strips, with which one can carry out an immediate measurement or permanent tests. Permanent CO2 tests determine the CO2 content using an indicator liquid that is in an urn in the aquarium. Permanent tests are more accurate and can be read daily without additional effort.
Calculate the CO2 value
If no CO2 test is available, the CO2 value can can be calculated using the table inserted above. For this, however, you need a carbonate hardness and pH value test.
Meaning of CO2
The CO2 supply to plants is comparable to the feeding of fish. Plants cannot survive without CO2. However, if the CO2 values are too high, fish can be damaged. One speaks of a CO2 deficiency when there is a concentration below 15 mg / l, from an excess from approx. 50 mg / l.
- High pH levels
- Algae growth
- Deficiency symptoms in plants
- Plant death
- poor plant growth
- Fish stress
- in extreme cases: fish deaths
In order to achieve optimal plant growth, the CO2 content should be around 20 - 40 mg / l. CO2 fertilization is particularly popular Aquascapes and plant tanks necessary because little or no CO2 is emitted by living beings. In community aquariums, the CO2 that is generated by the Breathing of the fish is often sufficient. Whether fertilization is necessary also depends on the individual requirements of the plants.
For the CO2 fertilization one uses CO2 systems in the aquarium hobby. There are different models with a wide price range.
JBL ProFlora Bio160 bio-CO2 fertilizer system
30.01 € (May 16, 2021 10:59 pm)
OCOPRO CO2 system DLX-350 Plus aquarium with night shutdown & FULL 2kg returnable bottle
194.90 € (May 16, 2021 10:59 pm)
Sera CO2 fertilizer system for aquariums up to 300 l
205.00 € (May 16, 2021 10:59 pm)
- What is the best way to innovate
- Where does our spirit live
- How is frozen crab meat cooked
- What was the Ottoman Empire
- Donald Trump is a scam
- Why are food prices so high in the US
- Gemstones are a good long term investment
- What do you think of Rashid Khan
- Why does Quora allow a liberal agenda
- Rethinking leads to depression
- What is ponte in fashion
- How can I buy Bicoins from India
- Does Islam promote hatred in America?
- Will scratch calcite topaz
- Why would anyone see a live orchestra
- How much does a 1000 bail bond cost
- Are the people of San Francisco presumptuous?
- Who was the first female cabinet minister
- What is practical idealism
- Why is MAMAMOO not more popular
- What is the RT Message Network
- Hasn't the Second Coming already happened?
- Hate conservative Jewish people
- Which websites take forever to load
- How can you be a libertarian socialist
- How important is god
- What are the travel and tourism agents
- What is John Lennon's worst song
- Haekeln always looks chunky
- When were Gothic novels popular?
- What are clove cigarettes
- Will cryptocurrencies make gold worthless
- What are some cool stories in Christianity
- What is adaptive software development