What were the smallest prehistoric animals
Prehistoric "sea monsters" were possibly the largest animals in the history of the earth
EVEN MORE GIANT
According to Lomax, the discovery has resulted in the team re-evaluating a number of individual bone finds near the village of Aust in Gloucestershire, England. Some of them were discovered as early as 1850. These finds have long been interpreted as the bones of terrestrial dinosaurs, but that was never entirely conclusive.
Eventually, the scientists realized that all of these pieces also belonged to giant ichthyosaurs - possibly even larger than the recently identified specimen.
"We compared them to these Aust bones and when I saw them in person, my jaw dropped," says Lomax. "I realized it was a huge ichthyosaur and the largest [animal] ever found in the UK."
Darren Naish, a paleontologist from the University of Southampton, also agrees that the size of these bones is astounding. He's part of a team that recently examined Aust's bones and also concluded they belonged to a gigantic ichthyosaur.
He agrees with the size estimates of the study authors and says that these animals "approached the size of various giant baleen whales or even exceeded them."
Follow John Pickrell on Twitter.
- How does investing in an LLC work?
- At what age do women look best
- How did you get famous overnight
- What can you do in Vilnius Lithuania
- Which deletes RLWL or GNWL first
- What are sleeping habits of geniuses
- Which language has no dialect
- What is it like not to be an American
- Can someone have more than one nationality
- What is the richest private college
- Why does everyone love Hrithik Rohan's acting
- Are Hungary and Romania enemies?
- What is the must eat in Pondicherry
- Can Argentina be considered an industrialized country
- Why are Russian girls so hot
- Are dimples unhappy
- How do I practice Mandarin
- How do I register a new company
- Why do we call ourselves Hindu
- Should I go to North Korea
- What is a seven star hotel
- How can I talk to emotions
- What makes NH3 a strong acid
- Why can't I stop loving