Why do deer antlers fall off
Why do deer lose their antlers?
Why do deer shed their antlers?
A fully grown red deer is an impressive figure and the largest wild animal in Central Europe. With great expenditure of energy, its antlers grow for a year. Then he throws it off. Why this trouble?
Such a philistine
In the red deer, only the male animal has antlers, which is why the female is also called deer. The antlers of very young deer do not yet have any ramifications. These deer are called philistines. The antlers are shed every spring, around February to April. Then the deer will grow new antlers within four months.
Bloody streaks of skin
It consists of bones and is well supplied with blood during the period of growth. During this time, the antlers are covered by a blood-supplied and hairy skin. They are called bast skin. Towards the end of the antler growth period, the deer begins to slough off the skin by rubbing the antlers on branches and tree trunks. The hunter or wildlife biologist calls this sweeping. Therefore, bloody strips of skin hang down from the antlers in summer.
Ossified and no longer supplied with blood
At the beginning of August, the growth of the antlers is finally complete. It is now completely ossified and no longer supplied with blood. The area of the head on which the antler rod rests is called a rose bush. In the spring, the cell layer between the rose bush and the antler is again supplied with blood. This loosens the connection. If the deer's antlers bump into something, it will fall off. Due to their weight, large antlers fall off without bumping into them. Why the deer sheds its antlers every year has not yet been clarified. So it remains a mystery.
- Are dividends offered on profit or sales
- What if the Midwest broke up?
- Yoga improves eyesight
- How many languages are there in Pakistan
- What is the New Atheism Movement
- How do developed and underdeveloped countries differ?
- Why is Hardik Pandya on the news lately
- Why do cults begin
- The Tamils live in Pakistan
- What is the oldest mosque in the world
- Which language family does Vietnamese belong to
- How can I express more emotions
- How do I prepare a home party
- Who makes more done pragmatists or radicals
- What happened to communism in Russia
- How many languages does Stephen Hawking speak
- Should I invest in KRANTI INDUSTRIES LIMITED
- Where can I trade a synthetic index
- What exactly is a Huffman coding tree
- The word lazy has an opposite
- What are the advantages of foreign films
- How big are Taiwanese dramas in China
- What are some examples of popular sovereignty
- Who is better Obama or Trump 1