What are gargoyles
Heads with fangs, serpentine looks that are clearly evil - such demonic figures can be found in and in churches.
They come from the Romantic, Gothic and Renaissance periods - at least in terms of time. At that time, these representations became common. Examples from the Gothic are Notre-Dame in Paris or Cologne Cathedral.
Threatening demons in the mirror
The demons do not threaten churchgoers, but the evil one. Gargoyles or gargoyles are called gargoyles on the outside of the churches in demon form. They have animal bodies and faces or human-like bodies with demonic facial features. Some also have wings that, according to mythology, can only glide, not fly. All of this is a mirror of evil.
When the evil comes, it sees something so gruesome for itself, as if it were looking in the mirror, that it disappears again - that is the idea behind it.
The demon figures also symbolize the influence of the devil on the earthly world, which stands in absolute contrast to the purity of the heavenly realm. That's what the saints tell about.
Defense also in the church
You can also find depictions of demons on the capitals, the ends of the columns, on the choir stalls or as the base of candlesticks. There are also saints, like Saint Catherine. Good triumphs over evil, if shooing away has not worked.
- Who created the flag of Great Britain
- What was Diamond Hill
- Can Cashmere Problem Ever Be Solved?
- Does ReadyBoost really work for games
- Was John Calvin a Nestorian
- What is your favorite album title
- How common are fake messages on Facebook
- How could we make anti-gravity matter
- Why the value of gold Bitcoin fluctuates
- Why do people change political parties
- What is the simplest ASE certification
- What's wrong with san francisco
- How can I masturbate more
- What are the rarest types of antiques
- What makes 343i better than Bungie
- Who passed the Patriot Act
- Of course, Helycobacter can be cured
- Is art relative why
- Everyone is naturally selfish
- How many churches stay open
- What is SSL
- What causes atmospheric pressure
- Who is Bengt
- What is it like to visit Siebenbuergen?