Are Siberian tigers endangered in the USA?
Hunted hunters: Tigers remain critically endangered
Moscow Great joy among animal rights activists: For the first time, a camera trap photographed one of the rare free-living Amur tigers in the Chinese Wangqing reserve near the Russian border. “There are increasing signs that the tiger is slowly reclaiming its former habitat,” says Markus Radday from the environmental protection organization WWF (World Wide Fund For Nature).
But the situation remains serious for the largest big cat in the world. 100 years ago there were around 100,000 tigers, today a total of around 3,200 specimens still live in the wild in 13 countries. "That's damn little," complains Pyotr Serdyukov from the International Animal Welfare Fund (IFAW) in Moscow.
A conference with Kremlin chief Vladimir Putin in St. Petersburg is considered a milestone in the battle for the last wild tigers. In November 2010, after tough negotiations, 13 states agreed on protection zones for the big cats. Hollywood guest of honor Leonardo DiCaprio ("The Great Gatsby") even donated one million US dollars.
Two and a half years later, many conservationists are still frustrated. Poaching and smuggling continue to dramatically decrease the number of majestic animals. Of what were once nine tiger subspecies, six still exist worldwide today.
According to a WWF analysis, almost two thirds of all tiger sanctuaries do not meet the agreed minimum standards. Many protected areas lack staff and poaching is hardly punished, says Serdyukov. The "tiger powers" China and Russia have been wrestling for a common rescue plan for years. The neighboring countries had agreed in St. Petersburg to set up three new corridors for the big cats in their border area.
- Is Jio postpaid cheaper than Jio prepaid
- Should we go to church often
- Why did China block all popular websites
- Why is the Caspian horse so rare
- Why do drug addicts fall behind
- When did Islam come to Somalia?
- Who was Madame Cama
- What is the mark of the devil
- How do isopods reproduce
- What makes girls continue conversations
- Why does Russia love Iran
- Modern Tamil baby names
- What do the Podesta emails prove
- Why do people date their friends
- Save Donald Trump CNN
- What was the story of the Satavahana Dynasty
- Sorry to move to Calgary
- Why is transhumanism controversial
- What did Hitler think of Muslims?
- Can you take out insurance for employees
- Is the wheel of fortune tampered with?
- What is underwriting 1
- What will satisfy the average Indian
- Did the anti-Russia propaganda not go too far